Skip to main content

Let's Talk about Mental Health & Why is it Important?

©The Sanniah Experience! (TSE)

Why talking about mental health is important? 

Well, for one, brushing uncomfortable truths under the rug help no one, and two, stable mental health like physical well-being is extremely important for healthy living.

We have often heard the saying: Live and Let Live! yet, very few understand this and implement it in their day-to-day lives. So today, let's talk about the how's and the why's of the situation. 

You see, when people offer unsolicited advice in the form of options and anecdotes (mostly unnecessarily), it almost always contributes to putting down those in need of help or motivation. So instead of offering our 'helpful suggestions' why not lend a 'listening-ear'? 

Allow them the opportunity and safe space and let them express what they may be going through, what they may be troubled by, and perhaps along the way guide them towards a potent solution to their problem!

Most examples where a person may be suffering from mental stress(es) and/or duress and that may result in fatal situations, namely depression or suicide, include: 

1. Having no one to talk to.

2. Having no one to relate to.

3. Overwhelmed by personal & professional stresses.

4. Experiencing incompatibility with family members.

5. Having problems in intimacy (be it physical e.g. between spouses/partners, or emotional with friends and loved ones).

6. Lack of social life.

 

How can we offer help?

1. Help them build trust in you. Be physically and/or emotionally present when they need you.

2. Show healthy and productive emotional support. One that lacks the element of judgment.

3. Guide them towards resilience and positivity.

 

How can we do this?

As I have already mentioned, sometimes offering a shoulder to cry on or lending an ear to listen to, the troubles of someone may be good enough. However, often times it is utmost to just show your support without pushing. In such cases, instead of pulsing forward, let them navigate the path to you by being present for them. Let those in need come to you when they feel they can trust you enough to do so. Let them take the first step. 


Share your thoughts with us in the comments down below! Wish to join our team of enthusiastic contributors? Connect with us at:

Email: thesanniahexperience@gmail.com
YouTube: @SanniahExperience 




Comments

Most Viewed

'Water: A Friend or A Foe?'

© The Sanniah Experience! (TSE)  An Analysis of Taufiq Rafat's Poetry By Sanniah Hassan  Everything in this world is symbolic of the human race, objects, or ideas representative of a phenomenon. It is no different with water be it in literature or real life. As humans, we take water to mean something or the other at all times whether literal or figurative, regardless of the geographical or mental constraints. Writers through the years have always been somewhat intrigued by it as a source of survival, of life et cetera. They have always used it as a step toward progress or a foreshadowing of hard times, from Donne to Hemingway, from Shamsie to Hosseini, writers cannot help but be amazed at it. Similarly, Taufiq Rafat a remarkable South Asian poet is no different. He beautifully takes the image of water and employs it in his poetry to create nothing short of art. This essay strives to discuss whether Rafat’s use of ‘water’ in his works is that of a friend or a foe. Having

Thought Process

© The Sanniah Experience! (TSE) "Shutting off the thought process is not rejuvenating; the minds is like a car battery - it recharges by running." Bill Watterson, American author By Sanniah Hassan Let us wish on a star, up high in the sky. Soar and fly, like a free flying bird. I cannot be tamed, I am a lioness I will not conform, for I am a warrior I am my own boss – I am going to survive! For my rights, I will strive.   I will not surrender. Share your thoughts and feedback with us in the comments down below or connect with us on: 

Walk Down Memory Lane: The Journey of a Hopeful Blogger

© The Sanniah Experience! (TSE) By Sanniah Hassan Reminiscing on my days as a student and laughing at silly typos going, "what was I thinking?" has me rolling back into my shell. Sometimes it takes a little introspection of the self to realize how far we have come. As an individual, a woman, a wife, a daughter, an aspiring writer, and a somewhat reserved human, life can be a roller-coaster of emotions. Lately, I have been thinking about the next big step I should take... too much comes to mind yet not enough time. So much to learn, much too much to unlearn before I can spread my wings and fly into the murky waters of life again. However, on a lighter note, checking out a blog I started for a project back in the day has reminded me of the multiple faces I possess, which if taken care of and nurtured properly can bloom into a beautifully strong and independent woman (hopefully wiser for her age!). If you agree that looking back sometimes helps one move forward with gr

From Childhood to Adolescence: A K-Drama Fanatic in the Making!

Posters of some popular K-dramas. No copyright infringement intended. By Sanniah Hassan As kids there are so many things which we love to do but, as we grow up and get busy in our daily lives, as only adults can, we tend to let go of some of those most cherished memories and activities. Recently, in my search of the soul [or my soul to be more precise] I stumbled upon my love for  Japanese Animes and  Korean TV series or as they are popularly referred to, K-dramas. What better way to relive those memories than to re-indulge in my favourite pastime as a child: watching K-dramas. So, I decided to create a list of the top 10 K-dramas [in my opinion of course] that I have recently seen and why.  So without further ado and in no particular order: 1. Goblin /  Guardian: The Lonely and Great God In all honesty, it was this series as well as my sister's insistence that I watch it with her, that made me re-enter the marvellous and dynamic world of the South Korean series once ag

Welcome to the 21st Century!

Image: From Full House to Fuller House . Image(s) taken from Google. By Sanniah Hassan So recently I have introduced myself to the modern concept of binge-watching series on the computer. Thus welcoming myself to the 21st century... ha! As yet another year is coming to an end I felt myself reminiscing on the days of my childhood when we used to watch re-runs of the 80's sitcom Full House starring John Stamos, Bob Saget, Candace Cameron Bure, and not forget the oh-so-famous Olsen twins (who played the character of the adorable Michelle Tanner). Watching this series as an adult has made me question so much about family values and morality in general. Although this family structure is not ideal in the sense that a single father is raising his three daughters with two of his best friends, in the absence of a strong female character (who appears in the series from the 3rd season onwards in the form of the beloved Aunt Becky played by Lori Loughlin), the series does tend to p